(read first about AEGEE-Europe here )
AEGEE-Athina is one of the first antennas(branches) that were created in Europe, founded in 1986 , just one year after the creation of AEGEE. It has dozens of active members, being one of the largest antennas of the Network! Working closely with several universities and colleges in the capital, AEGEE-Athina acts as a connection point with the rest of Europe!
Of major importance in the annual program of AEGEE-Athina are the various cultural exchanges with other antennas and the Summer University , which gives young people from all over Europe the opportunity to get to know our culture and work together in the period of two weeks.
Every week, AEGEE-Athina organizes local meetings or other events for its members, while informs them about the current happenings of the city.
From the history of AEGEE-Athina some things that stand out:
- the organization of three Markets (Agoras) – General Assemblies of AEGEE-Europe (1992, 1996, 2002) as well as our active contribution to the creation of Agora-Patra (2014).
- the monthly issue of our historical news magazine “ Europolis ” during the 90’s and until the mid 00’s, before the Internet overcame this need.
- our participation as a co-organizing organization in one of the most successful multi-year projects in the history of AEGEE, the Turkish-Greek Civic Dialogue Project . An AEGEE-Ankara initiative with the support of the European Union & amp; of the embassies of the two countries, which led to the organization of large-scale events (eg Kayafest 2003) which managed to strengthen the sense of friendship between the two populations(dramatically increasing the percentages of Turkish & Greek students who chose the other side of the Aegean for Erasmus in the coming years).
- organizing at least one Summer University annually since the program was created in 1988.
- the holding of the pan-European conference “ Europe and Euro: unification vs. marginalization ” (1997), long before the adoption of our common currency, with the participation and support of dozens of state and European bodies.
- promoting intergenerational communication, in collaboration with the European Commission for the European Year of Active Aging & amp; Solidarity between Generations (2012).
- the organization of the two-day entrepreneurship and volunteering “ Employment Action Days ” with the support of the Athens University of Economics and the Office of the European Parliament in Greece (2013).
- Informing the citizens about the functioning of the European institutions and mobilizing them to exercise their right to vote in the European elections, within the framework of the YVote program (2009 & amp; 2018)
- the organization of the cultural exchange “Connecting Europe” with participants from Spain, Germany, Russia and Turkey (2018).
The actions of the antenna are coordinated by the Board < / a> (Board Team) at local level, which is elected every year.